The 董事会的州长 consist of one Governor and one Alternate Governor appointed by each member country. The office is usually held by the country's minister of finance, 中央银行行长, or a senior official of similar rank. The 州长 and 交替 serve for terms of five years and can be reappointed.
If the country is a member of the Bank and is also a member of the International Finance Corporation (国际金融公司) 或者是 International Development Association (艾达), then the appointed Governor and his or her alternate serve ex-officio as the Governor and Alternate on the 国际金融公司 and 艾达 董事会的州长. They also serve as representatives of their country on the Administrative Council of the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (工业设计联合会) 除非另外注明. Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (多边投资担保机构) 州长 and 交替 are appointed separately.
Role of the 董事会的州长
All powers of the Bank are vested in the 董事会的州长, the Bank's senior decision-making body according to the 文章的协议. 然而, the 董事会的州长 has delegated all powers to the Executive Directors except those mentioned in the 文章的协议. 这些权力包括:
- Increase or decrease the authorized capital stock;
- Determine the distribution of the net income of the Bank;
- Decide appeals from interpretations of the 文章的协议 by the Executive Directors;
- Make formal comprehensive arrangements to cooperate with other international organizations;
- Suspend permanently the operations of the Bank;
- Increase the number of elected Executive Directors; and
- Approve amendments to the 文章的协议.